TwinMama for a Decade



They're Here!
Date: 08/07/2007The Turner Twins have arrived!

I will be updating this site with pictures and journals as the twins grow. Feel free to visit again! If you would like to be informed when I make updates to the site, send me a message and I will add you to the automatic notification list. Members of the list receive an email every time I add pictures or journal entries.

Megan Elizabeth5 lbs. 9oz.18.5 inches
Ryan Thomas5 lbs. 1 oz.19 inches
Megan and Ryan were born on Tuesday, August 7, at 10:21 and 10:23 AM, respectively.
Ten years ago I held my babies on my chest for the first time, and they fit perfectly.  They still do today - though rarely at the same time.  :)  In honor of their tenth birthday, I'm posting all of the back entries for the Babysites (March 1 - June 13, 2007).  From that point forward, I have posted - and will continue to post - the entries on the day they were originally published, ten years later.



It's a boy AND a girl
Date: 03/01/2007
Today marks 14 weeks, and even though I am officially into my second trimester, I'm still fighting the nausea. Everyone tells me that it should go away "any day now," but the books tell me that morning sickness with multiples can last for a while. Every day I wake up and ask Rick, "Is today the day?" So far the answer has been, "nope."


We learned yesterday that we are expecting both a boy and a girl. We were able to find this information out early and for surely because of the CVS testing we opted to undergo. This test eased our minds about severe chromosomal disorders and gave us an early peek at the genders. It's nice to be certain (ultrasounds are only "guesses" while genetic tests are conclusive), and we are begining the name debate! We'll be sure to let people know when we decide on any! If it's anything like our wedding song decision, we'll make it about one week before the twins arrive. Ha ha.


So I'm giving this site a try because I don't want to be one of those mothers that sends out emails with pictures attached, thus clogging up inboxes of my friends and family who would rather not see every pose of my children taking their first bath. Let me know if you think it will be interesting to you and worth my time to update it. Hopefully I will find the time to keep everyone informed once the twins are born! Feel free to give me feedback on this particular site as a communication tool.

Thanks!


19 weeks
Date: 04/07/2007
This entry is especially for Grandpa Tim, who I know is looking for an update!

Today we spent 2.5 hours in Babies-R-Us, selecting items for the babies. Amazingly, we didn't argue at all! Currently we are registered at www.babiesrus.com (where most of the items we need can be found) and Destination Baby (www.destination-baby.com). We will be adding one more registry at Pottery Barn Kids, where we will be purchasing most of the playroom furniture.

So far we have ordered the nursery furniture (the Dutailier, Madison collection in cognac) from Destination Baby, and we have cleared the "stuff" out of the two rooms we will be using for the nursery and playroom.

As for the status of the little ones, the last ultrasound showed that they were developing normally. We will spend two hours at the hospital in about a week and a half for the anatomical scan. The sonographer will scan each baby for about an hour to determine abnormalities in anatomical growth.

I feel bigger every day, and though I am not battling the nausea like I was, physically the pregnancy is becoming more demanding. I'm sure there will be much more to come in the next few months!


20 week ultrasound
Date: 04/22/2007
This week I spent nearly two hours on my back as the doctors evaluated both babies. Rick watched on the monitor as they measured every bone to assess their growth. Everything looks good so far!


Our son is currently 15 ounces and our daughter is 14 ounces. Unfortunately, neither would pose nicely for their picture, so we don't have a good sonogram update for our baby album!


Learning to Diaper a Doll
Date: 04/29/2007
Good morning. It's another early one for me. Sometimes the babies wake me up and keep me up for a few hours during the night. I imagine it's all in preparation for the time to come...

Yesterday Rick and I attended a Baby Basics class at the hospital. We learned about newborns, what happens in the hospital and basic care when they come home. Rick successfully diapered and swaddled our baby doll! From what he tells me, this was his first attempt at diapering. It was easy, he said, because the arms and legs stayed in one place! I think he'll do fine with the real thing, however.

There is important new information about SIDS that all caregivers need to know. Times have changed, and babies now sleep on their backs. You can read other information here: http://www.nichd.nih.gov/sids/

I've ordered both sets of grandparents the brochure specifically marketed to grandparents, and as soon as it arrives, I'll forward it along.


I posted my 5-month (20 week) side picture, but it's already a little out of date. I was taking these pictures once a month, but I am expanding so rapidly now that I might have to take weekly pics to keep track of the changes!


6 months and counting down the days
Date: 05/11/2007
We've hit the 6 month mark, which, I guess, officially puts me in the third trimester. There's not much to report. Physically I'm hanging in there. Each day seems to bring new pains - right now it's my upper legs, glutes, and hips. I haven't hurt this much in my legs since I was doing double sessions of soccer. Actually, I think this pain is worse. Rick tries to massage the area for me, but I usually end up screaming. Last night I asked him if labor would be more intense than the pain he was causing me while he rubbed my legs!

Mentally I'm pretty prepared. I've read twins books, baby books, labor books. I've taken the classes. Right now I feel like I can't really prepare any more - it's time to jump in and learn on the job, so to speak! Of course, now I just have to wait a few months to be able to do it. With the semester winding down at Fordham, my schedule is lightening up, which everyone else says is a good thing because it will allow me to rest. However, for me the downtime will be interminable, I fear. I imagine I will keep myself busy, however.


We are slowly collecting baby items as people generously send things our way. One of Rick's clients made homemade baby blankets, and a few of my students gave me gifts as well. The nursery that Mom, Pop, and I cleaned out not long ago is already filling with more stuff! We're hoping the furniture arrives in early July so we can put it all together.


Ultrasound
Date: 05/15/2007
Today's ultrasound showed everything normal. Our girl is 1 lb. 10 oz. and our boy is 1 lb. 12 oz.


Lately, I have been able to feel the boy kicking, rolling, punching, and otherwise moving quite frequently - the girl less so. I asked the sonographer if it made sense based on their positions that I would feel the boy more than the girl. She said that it could be the case - or that the boy is just more active. We might have an athlete on our hands!


Showers
Date: 05/23/2007
Whew. Two showers, a trip to PA and back, and a LOT of wonderful presents to put away! I'm tired!

I posted a few pics from the showers for those who might be interested. As for an update...


My doctor is VERY happy with my progress. Our baby girl is in the 62nd percentile and our son the 73rd percentile for their growth. So even though I haven't gained all the weight I should, they are doing very well, especially for twins. My doc says the ultrasounds look great, and she is especially happy that I am done with work. She tells me to take it easy, so I think I'll keep enjoying the pampering everyone has been laying on me recently. I know it won't last for much longer.


Over 7 months!
Date: 06/13/2007
The babies are growing and so am I! Both were estimated at 2 lb. 15 oz. today on the sonogram. Now I know where the weight I gained these past few weeks has gone! They have shifted positions slightly; the boy is transverse across the top of the uterus, and the girl is head-down the right side. Silly kids - there's lots of room on the lower left side where they could stretch out, it would seem!

Rick and I attended a friend's wedding in Baltimore recently, and it was tough for me physically. I spent our tour of the aquarium in a wheelchair (Rick is a very good driver, by the way), and despite trying to rest throughout the weekend, it was stressful for my body. Sunday night after we returned home, I experienced strong and frequent Braxton-Hicks contractions. My doctor warned me to TAKE IT EASY! I'm following instructions now as I spend most days on the couch in my living room.

Mom and Pop came to paint the playroom this past weekend, and we expect to have the nursery furniture delivered in the next week or so. I guess this is what they call the nesting phase???


The babies are constantly active, kicking, pushing, rolling, looking for room in there. They like music and sugar, and it's fun to feel them "dance."




See the next Babysites entry here.

Comments

Popular Posts