When do we become ourselves?

More than any other decade post I've made, this one made me realize that my children have inherent personality traits that have existed since before they could talk.  As I described them ten years ago, I would describe them today.  Megan still contemplates things; now she asks how they work.  Ryan still has a temper; now he expresses his emotions through words (and hugs).

I was talking with my mom the other day about how our childhood is such a small part of life - and yet so formative.  My husband and I have had conversations about how we aren't the people now that we were then, and my good friend and I recently discussed how it's only been recently that we have become the people we are today.

So when do we become ourselves?  Maybe there are pieces of us that are always there and always have been.


Spring is here
Date: 04/20/2008

First of all, be sure to check the captions on the pictures, just in case I forget something.

It seems like Megan and Ryan have blossomed in the last few weeks, just like the flowers in the yard. We attended a book signing last week where the author explained how important it is for parents to foster the individuality of twins. Though I have tried to do this from the time they were born, I'm cognizant as I write that each child is unique. So let's take them one at a time.

Megan has had some wonderful days recently. I guess she's between teeth. :) She has begun scooting backward, though I can see the frustration in her that she hasn't figured out how to crawl forward yet. Her increased mobility sent us to the store for baby gates, and we had to get out the outlet plugs. Today I saw her contemplating how to pull herself from the sunken living room up one step into the kitchen. I have no doubt she will figure it out soon.

Rick says he loves to watch her contemplate things, and that's exactly what she does. She studies her toys, my breast pump, my cell phone, the remote control - anything she can. She gives us brilliant smiles whenever we walk in a room (talk about validation!), and she is increasingly verbal. Da da da da (which still doesn't mean Daddy, though Rick likes to think it does) and N-ga (which Rick says means Mama, though I've never considered myself a Swedish model) are her favorite "words." She has perfected banging two objects together, and she loves to clap her hands. She's also getting better about taking her toys back from her brother when he steals them.

Ryan, the brute who steals his sister's toys, has been showing his temper more and more. When we scold him for stealing Megan's toys or when he doesn't get his way (especially at mealtime), he lets us know that he is unhappy. He's quick to smile for a tickle, however. And he loves his jumper. I can hear him cackle and screech with joy from throughout the house if he is playing in it.

He is quite the swimmer, moving his arms and legs with zest in the pool. He will "jump" in the water (if we put a toy in his eyesight - we're still working on jumping in to Mama), and I think he is close to blowing bubbles. He does so in his water - to our chagrin - when he drinks from his cup at meals. Speaking of cup, he loves it. Water, juice, milk - it doesn't matter what is in it, he wants it. I think he would drink complete meals if I let him.

We had a family picnic this weekend in the beautiful spring weather, and we are looking forward to taking Megan and Ryan to their first minor league baseball game next month. We continue to be amazed by the babies and the joy they bring us.

Comments

Popular Posts