The Moment a Christmas Tradition Began

"What are you doing for Christmas?"

This question worked its way into so many conversations in the last few weeks.  My answer has been the same for a decade:  "I'm hosting."

Every year since my babies were born, both sets of grandparents and two uncles have spent some portion of Christmas day in my home, and we celebrate together.  It's my favorite family event of the year, and I know my kids feel the same.  My brother and I take charge in the kitchen (with my dad serving as a trusty sous chef); my in-laws do the clean-up; and the kids enjoy the toys and games that come their way.  We relish in the traditions: mulled apple cider scenting the house; a prayer with baby Jesus and waiting patiently to open stockings until Daddy comes downstairs; special time for the kids with each set of grandparents; sausage stuffing and cauliflower gratinee, the highlight of dinner and leftovers.

We have celebrated 10 Christmases in our current home as of this year, 11 as a family.  This post from 2007 reminded me of the first time ten of us gathered together.  I hadn't remembered that I was a task master that first year.

It's not often you can look back at the moment a tradition began.  This is one of them for me.

Last of the year!
Date: 12/31/2007

I uploaded many pictures, none with captions, to document our Christmas week with the Hawleys and the Turners. Granna and Grampa (Hawley) joined us for church on Sunday, where Ryan was scared to death by the very loud cymbals (courtesy of the special music provided by a brass band). Both Megan and Ryan earned many compliments on their adorable outfits.

Even more adorable, however, were their Christmas morning outfits. We couldn't get enough of them in their elf stripes and hats! Ironically, their under-onesies stated, "Never a silent night with me." No, they are still nowhere close to sleeping through the night...

Uncle Matt arrived on Christmas eve and spent the week getting to know his niece and nephew. He and Uncle Nick joined all the grandparents in helping me prepare Christmas dinner. I called it "A Family Affair," and I assigned everyone chores and meal prep tasks. Even though I didn't make a spreadsheet (ask my mom or father-in-law about my wedding spreadsheet if you haven't heard the story), we had dinner on the table at 2:05, right on time!

The day after Christmas we headed to Vermont. Megan helped me play pinochle (the Dennis/Kristen dynamic duo won AGAIN), and Ryan pooped often. One poop earned him a bath in the kitchen sink. After waiting a week for Megan to go, she finally did and the entire house cheered for her!

The babies have some new toys to help them learn in the next few months, and I'm sure they will outgrow all of the 6-9 month clothes their grandmothers gave them for Christmas before Valentine's Day! They are both eating like champs.

It's going to be a quiet New Year's eve for Rick and me this year. But we look forward to all the fun 2008 will hold.

Comments

Popular Posts